What would be your top 3-5 goals if you are elected as Commissioner?
Philip Cryar District 1 Republican
Goal 1: Build a technical school in Walton County using private endowment and donor funding that can provide excellent education to the youth and bolster the economy.
Goal 2: Boost job growth countywide, in North/Central Walton especially, and provide economic relief due to job losses suffered from COVID-19.
Goal 3: Bring back customary use of Walton County's beaches to the public by purchasing property from private owners or settling on a public easement on private property that would grant the public use.
Goal 4: Narrow the growth management gap by implementing more infrastructure to accommodate the boom in development. Focus resources on infrastructure for the short-term to improve commute in the long-term.
Goal 5: Improve countywide infrastructure in regards to water and sewage maintenance, as well as road maintenance. Build a more streamlined water and sewage system and improve road quality countywide.
Lisa Johnson District 1 Republican
Did Not Respond
William "Boots" McCormick District 1 Republican
1. Rebuilding the citizen's trust and confidence in the Walton County BBC. Without this, I see no way of getting to the job done.
2. We need a more aggressive plan to at least get our infrastructure caught up. Hopefully even get ahead of the curve some.
3. I understand tourism is the main financial driver in Walton County and I do not see that changing. What I would like to see is a more aggressive attempt to bring in other mayor drivers to lesson some of the dependency of tourism.
4. We got to continue protecting our natural resources. I have somewhat of a selfless motive in this area. My grandchildren live and will be raised in Walton County. There will come a time when we will hand this county over to their generation. I want them to know I did everything I knew do to preserve something worth them having.
5. Public Safety
Mike Barker District 3 Republican
1. Improve customer service by:
a. Study and revise the application process in the building and planning departments to make them more user friendly and understandable. This would include providing assistance to those that are not computer literate.
b. Provide customer service training to all county employees on a periodic basis and ensure compliance.
2. Evaluate the current code ordance and re-write or enhance it to include sections for the entire county, so that it can be enforced, and support it's enforcement.
3. Evaluate appointed citizen committees to ensure that they are functioning in a productive and appropriate way for the county.
4. Work to stop overdevelopment.
Teddy Stewart District 3 Republican
Did Not Respond
Tony Anderson District 5 Republican
Did Not Respond
Debbie Heard District 5 Republican
Responsible development following the comp plan and land development code, protecting our rare natural resources
Economic development & diversification that will make Walton County less dependent on tourism
Transportation & Mobility Plan for 30A and all of Walton County.
Health care availability...prepare a proactive plan for expected growth & future emergencies.
Affordable housing for our work force, to work in conjunction with our transportation plan.
Re evaluate and rewrite the beach vending ordinance
Dr. Carolynn Zonia District 5 Democrat
As District 5 Commissioner, my top priority would be to exhaust all avenues to ensure that residents and visitors alike can continue to utilize our Beaches for recreation. It is important to keep clear that Customary use is about recreational use of the beach. Customary Use is not about ownership, and Customary Use does not include commercial activities. This is a question of recreational use, and our future as a tourist destination, our economy, our property values and our quality of life all depend on our ability to utilize the Beaches for recreation.
My next priority would be to find a way to allow growth that enhances our Communities, not destroy them. This might mean a “pause” in development to allow infrastructure to catch up. And I am not waiting for the election to get started addressing this problem. I have requested a prioritized list of necessary infrastructure projects so that I can get to work as soon as possible.
A third goal would be to address our water quality issues across the County-please see more detail in questions below.
Number 4 would be improvements to traffic flow, and there are low cost, easy to implement, interventions that could immediately improve the commute on 30a, which would lead to a better quality of life.
Number 5 is a real passion for me, and that is helping folks move from minimum wage, entry level jobs to higher paying mid-level employment by accessing the Workforce Opportunity and Innovation Grant funding.
Also please check out my plans at DrZforWaltonCounty.org/Priorities
SWCC NEEDS YOUR HELP
South Walton Community Council needs your financial help to support our mission to support worthy projects and initiatives such as this.
For more information or other ways to donate, please send us an email at email@example.com.
SWCC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations and, thus, donations may be tax deductible.